Jan 29, 2011

Winter Reading




I follow a site called Design Sponge. I love it. It has a hodgepodge of different things from decorating, recycling, books and so on. The post that I got today was a list for books for winter reading. All have to do with gardening, self-sufficiency and living a peaceful, happier life. This ia good time of year to do some research, plan gardens and order seeds...My favorite time...

The Dirty Life is going to be a must read for me and I found a couple more that will be Christmas presents next year. The Four Season Harvest by Elliot Coleman is another book I am interested in. The husband and I have been planning our next project which is a greenhouse to extend the growing season, eventually produce our own food year round. Elliot Coleman is the "Guru of Organic Gardening"...a wealth of information with shows on PBS and other books.
Also Mycelium Running by Paul Stament is another one I plan to read ..we have some ideal areas for growing mushrooms and try to utilize what we can at our home. This book goes into why cultivating mushrooms is good for the environment by the process of breaking down hydrocarbans which cause pollution.

I am posting the list of books. Click on Design Sponge or the book title to take you to the page to read the summaries of these books. There is something for everyone, city or country.



1. Farm Together Now by Amy Franseschini, Anne Hamersky, Daniel Tucker

2. The Bucolic Plague by Josh Kilmer-Purcell

3. The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball

4. The Self-Sufficient-ish Bible by Andy & Dave Hamilton

5. The Creative Family by Amanda Soule

6. The Four-Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman

7. The Urban Homestead by Erik Knutzen & Kelly Coyne

8. Made From Scratch by Jenna Woginrich

9. Radical Homemakers by Shannon Hayes

10. Mycelium Running by Paul Stamet


Also check out a few of my favorite spots, tried and true...you can't go wrong...









No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...