My hubby took the wood and rounded the edges and hollowed out the center to create a concave effect. Then I drew my design on it.
I then began working the outline of the design and scraping the outer edges.
Though it was very rough I was pleased with my first attempt. The rough look actually goes well with my style of decor.
My mistake with this piece came when I tried to stain it...the wood was so old that it was too porous and soaked up the stain before I could wipe off the excess..I had only wanted a light stain on it. So I sanded it back down as best I could. I then applied black beeswax to it and achieve the look I wanted.
Even though the carving area is darker...I liked the look. It has an ancient,well worn look to it. I have it in my living room and seems to fit in with the Bohemian look I am going for.
It has now become a home for the iron scorpion my husband made for me ( my astrological sign)...It seems symbolic of the way we work together in our lives...combining our artistic ideas in life.
I have started my next project and am posting a sneak preview.I will post the final results and pictures of what this is going to be when I have finished...so stay tuned!!!