Mar 19, 2010

DIY French Antique

A few years ago I bought an unfinished
cupboard at a local furniture warehouse. I
wanted a place to house my books and special
items. Recreating a French antique cupboard similar to ones I had seen in magazines was my goal. I looked on line for flower appliqués but nothing seemed to come close to what I wanted.

So I decided to make my own out of polymer clay. The roses, the leaves and vines were made from white clay, baked then glued to the cupboard doors. I whitewashed the cupboard with pickling paint. Then I made a antique wash of walnut stain and linseed oil.
The stain was a little heavier in areas so to look as though it had built up over the years. Wrought iron hardware added the finishing touches.
I was very happy how it turned out. It is not like an actual French antique cupboard but I think it is as close as I can get for a fraction of the cost.

I love hanging beads on door handles and it just looked right for this piece.



















Flower detail of the cupboard door.



Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Lady of the Woods said...

OH>MY>GOD> I just saw this one! no comments?? what's wrong with people! sheesh! This is stunning Linda! please tell me how you made the appliques...I'm always looking for some good ones, cannot afford good ones, and these are stunning! I need alot of them too, please dont' tell me you formed the roses by hand?? I'm not that good an artist...gorgeous cubboard!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...