Dec 22, 2009

"The Nutcracker" from the Royal Ballet - Introduction | Great Performances | PBS



Christmas is a lot of things to me...spending time with my family, enjoying good food, cooking and watching all the great movies of the season. Some of my favorites are "The Christmas Carol" ( the new one in 3-D is fabulous), the 1950's "The Christmas Story", The Nativity Story" about the birth of Jesus, all the Santa Claus movies, "Holiday Inn","White Christmas" and "It's a Wonderful Life".

But the classic is Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker". I grew up hearing the music played on cartoons that I watched as a child. The sound is just so magical.

Last night there was a showing of "The Nutcracker" on Maine PBS. I have always loved the story but this version was absolutely beautiful. The music, costumes and dancing was so elegant and visually stunning I am still thinking about it right now. If you ever have the opportunity to watch this version by the San Francisco Ballet, please do so. I promise you will not be disappointed! I plan on adding this DVD to my Christmas collection.

These are a few scenes from the production.




Clara receiving the Nutcracker


The Battle of the Nutcracker and the Mouse King

The Snow Queen



***Waltz of the snowflakes***
This scene is my absolute favorite. It is so beautiful...


Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy









Merry Christmas Everyone
and
Happy New Year!


Peace,

Linda

1 comment:

Méa Strauß said...

Linda, i love your spirit - I showed all this to my children, when they were small. We went to "Swann Lake", featured by the Moscow State Ballett, when they were bigger.
Still she is here reading, the Méa ;), hope, you don´t mind :))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...